1. What was the inspiration (motivation) behind the book? (Why did you write it in the first place?)
As an avid walker, I have a love and appreciation for nature, especially walking through the woods. I also like to read the Bible and found myself curious about the trees mentioned in scripture. At the time I started my research I was actively involved in children’s ministry in my church so wanted to share what I learned in an entertaining format for the children. I produced one-sheets to fit into the weekly bulletins and featured one tree a week for seven weeks. I collected these together and added facts about each tree with fun activities. And voila, I had the beginnings of this book!
2. What do you hope this book accomplishes?
I hope the readers gain a new appreciation for trees while learning a little more about stories in the Bible. And I hope they have fun too!
3. Who is this book written for?
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I could see such a book being narrated by someone from Veggie Tales, like Bob the Tomatoe, as the stories are brought to life through cartoon characters that would appeal to young children…maybe Larry the Cucumber.
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Take a tour of 7 different trees in the Bible and discover the stories God has to tell through them.
6. Who did the illustrations?
Esther Haug, a 20-year-old woman who plans to attend Fleming College of the Arts in Haliburton in the fall 2013.
7. Where can we learn more about the process of creating this book?
We’ve posted videos showing Esther drawing the illustrations on YouTube at AndFaithMatters channel.
8. Is this book a stand alone or part of a series?
A series called Science and Faith Matters. Other books in the series will be about the Life Sciences, including animals of the Bible and the five senses.
9. Is there anything else that you would like your readers to know about you that would give us even more of a glimpse into your personality and passions?
I’ve volunteered as a teacher in many children’s programs at my church, as a teacher’s aide for students’ reading in the classroom, and within the library at my children’s school. I love to combine my teaching experience and love of writing to create educational materials for children about family, fitness, science and faith.
Links to website:
Soon to be released! Children’s activity book Trees of the Book – Learning from God’s Creation http://www.scienceandfaithmatters.wordpress.com